Vicarage Road – Watford
Address: Vicarage Road, Watford, WD18 0ER Tel: 01923 223023
Vicarage Road Stats
|Vicarage Road Stadium Stats
|Watford Football Club Plc
|19,172 – 22/23 Season
|34,099 – February 3, 1969 – Watford vs. Manchester United (FA Cup)
|Watford FC Stats
|Harry the Hornet
|Luton Town, Crystal Palace
|Luther Blissett – 186 Goals
|Luther Blissett – 503 Appearances
Vicarage Road Stadium Map
Vicarage Road Stand: 5,800 single tier capacity stand named after the street this famous ground is accessed from. Houses the away fans and the iconic scoreboard from the 1980s.
The Graham Taylor Stand: 7,100 capacity and named after footballing legend Graham Taylor. Re-opened in 2017 it is the newest and largest stand at the stadium and houses the family viewing area.
The Rookery Stand: 5,700 capacity stand that began life as an open terrace and taking its name from nearby woodland. It is the oldest stand at the ground, originally built in 1922.
The Sir Elton John Stand: 3,800 capacity and named after famous fan and former chairman Sir Elton John. This stand opened in 2014 and replaced the main stand and houses the executive boxes.
Watford Ticket Prices
Half Season ticket prices – running from 14th December 2023 to the end of the 23/24 season were priced as follows:
Wheelchair tickets are between £10 and £46 for the half season.
Getting to Vicarage Road Stadium
By Car: The postcode for the stadium is WD18 0ER. Space around the ground is limited and there are road closures and permits in operation due to the residential nature of the surrounding streets. Parking can be reserved at Field Junior School, Ascot Road Primary School or Holywell Primary School. This can be booked either for a whole season on game-by-game basis. Parking can be requested here.
Be aware that the nearby hospital actively patrol entrances to their car parks on match-days to ensure that facility can be used by those in need.
By Rail: The Watford High Street station is a 10 minute walk from the stadium, alternatively you can use the Metropolitan Line on the Underground, with the station for Watford roughly 1 mile from Vicarage Road.
History of Vicarage Road Stadium
Vicarage Road has been home to Watford F.C. since 1922 when the club moved from Cassio Road with the opening game against Millwall on 30th August 1922. Much of the viewing area, as with many stadiums origins, was an earth bank and traditional terraces were installed over time.
1953 saw the first game under floodlights following their installation on the Main Stand before they were replaced with pylon floodlights in each of the four corners of the stadium. 1978 an electronic scoreboard was added to the ground and in 1986 the Shrodell’s Stand saw it’s last game against Manchester United before being replaced by what is now known as the Graham Taylor stand which opened with a 3 nil win against Oxford United.
The early 90s saw the ground transformed into an all-seater following the Hillsborough Disaster and Taylor Report. The Rookery stand, costing £1.6m, completes construction in April 1995.
After the turn of the century investment and updates are made to the ground, including an addition of a club shop in the Vicarage Road Stand. redevelopment of the East Side which is now known as the Sir Elton John Stand and new LED floodlights are added.